Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Healthy Nut Recipies


I've mentioned before how Cashew Cream has changed my life and thought I should document some of my recent recipes here - http://www.talronnen.com/recipes/cashew-cream/
+ I've used in Pumpkin pie when it asks for cream - straight volume replacement
+ Used in curries when it asks for yogurt at the end
+ Used in tomato bisque, but could probably be added to most soups at the end to make them creamy
+ I will try it in mashed potatoes next week and let you know
+ Tal Ronnen also has a a cashew cheese recipe that I am addicted to (my husband hates it) - I add a cup of water when I'm grinding the cashews to make it more like a dip - I also add garlic salt instead of sea salt.

Elana's site has gluten and dairy free recipes (it's a good site for me since I avoid gluten and I actually feel a lot better if I avoid dairy too) :-)  She has a fantastic Almond Flour book, but her cashew recipes are pretty good too!
Home made cashew milk is pretty darn good on cereal!
+ I think she makes some of her stuff a little too sweet so I omit the stevia in the cocoa recipe and sweeten to taste with agave
+ Homemade almond milk is good to drink (much better than store bought); we drank so much almond nog over the holidays!!!
+ I made this one time using apple pie spice, yum!  You can also replace the yacon syrup with agave (yacon is silly expensive, but worth it if you can afford it)
This is an Almond Muffin recipe that I've modified below - I eat an almond muffin each morning around 10am and it stops me snacking on salty and sugary stuff - it's almost a diet aid!
My substitutions -
+ Replace 1 stick of melted butter with 1/3 cup olive oil (can use as little as 1/4 cup for lower fat version, but make up the volume with water or apple sauce)
+ I have used agave to sweeten, but I prefer 1 tablespoon of SteviaPlus (or the equivalent of 1/3 cup sugar - there are some different Stevia mixes going around and if you add too much it can make the muffins bitter - stevia has no calories so this option brings the calories down)
+ You can just use egg whites if cholesterol is an issue (4-5 whites)
+ You can mix nut flours, I have used half almond and half hazelnut - that goes really well with the Nutella topping suggested below :-) You need to grind the nuts since I've never seen ground hazelnut flour - freeze the nuts overnight and grind in processor for 5 mins - freezing allows the nuts to grind better and prevents clumping due to nut oils (which are frozen), it's also really loud!!!!  You can do the same and make you're own almond flour since it's not the cheapest flour on the shelf - I sometimes use regular, unbalanced almonds since blanching is such a pain -the upside is it increases the fiber in the muffins :-)
I also learned that if you do want to use blanched almonds, boil the almonds in water for 1 min, drain and let cool and they should squeeze out of their casing pretty easily
++ use cake cups - they'll stick in the muffin pan no matter what you do!
Additions -
+ 1 tbsp dried lemon peel and 1 tbsp poppy seeds or chia seeds (they are so good for you)
+ Fresh blueberries sink to the bottom so I use freeze dried ones from Whole foods and add 1/3 cup water to the batter
+ Swirl some agave on the top before baking
+ Add a dark chocolate drop (or 1/2 tsp Nutella) to the top of each before baking
+ Add powdered green tea - since Japanese women don't get breast cancer they suggest drinking 3 cups of green tea a day - the best is supposed to be Matcha, so I add a tablespoon to the almond flour before adding the wet ingredients - it gives them a green hue :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment