Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Gluten Free Enchiladas?

Gluten Free Enchiladas, that's easy you say, just use corn tortillas.  Okay, okay, I agree...but I didn't want the tortilla part to be bready and thick, and overwhelm the contents.  I pondered an alternative until just recently when I was looking for a stuffed cabbage recipe for our vegan Christmas thali feast.
Cabbage leaves, hmmmm.....

Mexican-Inspired Stuffed Cabbage-Leaf Enchiladas...sort of.

Ingredients
1 cup of rice, cooked as per packet instructions (I used brown rice, but white would work just as well)
1 cup of beans - pintos, black beans or whatever bean you prefer (I used black beans)
2 small 4 oz tins of Hatch diced green chillies, I used one mild and one hot, 'cause I like it spicy :-)
1/2 cup of corn (I used frozen)
1/2 cup of freshly chopped cilantro
salt, pepper and other seasonings to taste

White cabbage (we had one in the fridge that had a 1/4 chunk cut out for coleslaw, so I used 1/2 cabbage

8oz tin of Vegetarian Red Chili sauce (gluten free)

Method
Place cabbage into boiling water and boil for about 5 minutes until the leaves are tender and easy to remove.

In a bowl mix the rice, beans, chilies, corn, cilantro and seasonings.  Remove the cabbage from the hot water and let it cool a little, then carefully remove the leaves.

In each leaf add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of mixture and roll into a small package and place in an ovenproof serving tray or bowl. You can also add smaller leaves together to make larger packages if you wish.

When all the mixture or leaves are used smother with red chili sauce. Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes until the sauce is bubbling around the packages. You can sprinkle your favorite vegan cheese before baking, I make a mix of equal parts nutritional yeast and almond flour that I use.
Serve with salad or fresh guacamole and garnish with cilantro.  

This recipe makes about 4 servings, it doesn't save too well in the freezer (can make the cabbage a little rubbery), but the wrapped cabbage packets kept well covered in the fridge for 3 days (I added the sauce before baking and they came out as yummy as the first ones).
I loved how this turned out, I ate it 3 days in a row...now I can't wait to make it again!

1 comment:

  1. This was good stuff. Not quite an echilada, not quite a cabbage roll, but a good combination.

    ReplyDelete