Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Vegetables - Cooked My Way!

I love roasted vegetables, I could eat roasted veggies every night and just change the sauce...cheese, balsamic, guacamole, tomato...

You can use whatever you have available and make a few adjustments for different textures and types.

What I use;
  • Parboiled fingerling potatoes - you can use any type of potatoes, just make sure they are chopped into half inch cubes and either parboiled or microwaved so when you squeeze the whole potato it gives a little and not rock-hard
  • Parsnips (no precooking required if cut into half inch cubes)
  • Small onions or shallots, peeled - large onions can be quartered
  • Broccoli florets
  • Cauliflower florets
  • Sliced peppers (larger 1 inch chunks work best)
  • Zucchini.Courgettes (cut into 1 inch slices)
  • Diced beets
Heat the oven to 350 F.  I have seen some recipes that suggest 400 F - I have found this is too hot and tends to blacken the vegetables before they are fully roasted and cooked through.

Spread vegetables on a large baking sheet and drizzle with grape seed oil.  I use grape seed oil (instead of olive oil) because it is more stable at higher temperatures and doesn't provide any taste.  After I have added oil I massage the vegetables to make sure they are fully coated.  Make sure the broccoli and cauliflower are well oiled as they may become too crispy or burn.

Before adding to the oven I sprinkle with freshly ground sea salt (I generally use Celtic salt).
Place in the middle of the oven and check after 20 minutes - at this time I shake the tray and turn the vegetables, if needed.  Leave for another 20 minutes (for a total of 40 minutes in the oven).

Remove from the oven and server as a side or as a Meatless Monday treat with yummy dipping sauces!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment