Thursday, May 26, 2011

Quick Gluten/Wheat Free Burger Bun

I don't mind lettuce wrap burgers, but sometimes I just want to blend in and look like I'm eating the same as everyone else; I really don't want to be the picky little princess.

Over the last few years I have tried a few GF burger buns and they're usually very dry and flaky and get drier as they sit in my fridge. They also tend to be made with little fiber and have a lot of carbohydrates - not good for my middle-aged metabolism!  Gluten free bread is also pretty heavy, so normal size buns are dense wee guys that could damage a toe if you dropped one. 

My requirements for a bun are;
  • Low carb (low glycemic)
  • Some fiber and protein would be nice
  • Not so dense
  • Not so flaky
I pondered flours and raising agents to try and find a way to add some air into a mixture without gluten.  Then I made a horrendous mistake while trying to make muffins and as I was cleaning up the mess it came to me - use a modified muffin recipe and why not make the 2 bun halves separately?

Ingredients for one single bun 
1 egg
1 Tbsp coconut flour
1 Tbsp blanched almond flour
1 Tbsp coconut oil (olive oil or melted butter)
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp baking powder

Optional
1 tsp nutritional yeast (for a more bready taste)
1/4 tsp poppy seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds

Method
Add all ingredients together and blend in a small food processor or hand blender.

If the batter is runny, leave it a few minutes to thicken.  It should be like a thick pancake batter, if it is runny add another half tablespoon of almond flour. It is is too thick, add a teaspoon of water.

Divide the batter into two and drop onto oiled parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes until they are lightly browned.

Note, for the top of the bun, I added chia seeds to one side.
I generally throw the burger on the grill while the bun sides are baking, the buns will be ready by the time it is cooked.

The batter likes to spread to about 3 inches in diameter so this does not work for slider buns.  I thought I could just divide into 4, but the batter spreads and makes 4 thin 3 inch halves that are no good for sliders.  I plan to play around with this recipe and will post my slider bun recipe when I figure it out.  For now, enjoy fitting in with the rest of the crowd :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment