Saturday, January 15, 2011

Blueberry Almond Muffins

I have mentioned my almond muffins before but since then I have modified the recipe to the point where I consistently make this version.  I still have one a day with my 10am coffee and I still believe they are a good diet aid as they keep me satisfied until lunch time! I once went through and worked out the nutritional information, I think they are about 160 calories each and fairly low carb.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups almond flour (almond meal) - I use unblanched almond flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (or less) 
  • 1 tablespoon of SteviaPlus (or the equivalent of 1/3 cup of sugar, if you use a 1/3 cup of liquid sweetener reduce the water by 1/3 cup) 
  • 1/2 cup of freeze dried blueberries (if you don't add f/d blueberries reduce the water by 1/3 cup)
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil 
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (this helps mask some of the bitterness of stevia)

Method
Preheat oven to 350 F and place cake cups in a 12-muffin tin.(please use cake cups - they'll stick in the muffin pan no matter what you do) .
Mix dry ingredients together well including the blueberries.  I use freeze dried blueberries because fresh or frozen ones will sink to the bottom of the muffins (remember there's no gluten in this and fresh blueberries will be too heavy). Also, make sure the stevia is mixed in well, you don't want concentrated patches that produce bitterness.
Beat the eggs and add the oil, water, vanilla and mix thoroughly.
Stir  the wet ingredients with dry ingredients and immediately fill muffin papers  (about 2/3 full - fill all 12 muffin papers evenly) and bake for about 15 minutes until they are just lightly browned.

**Eat all within 24 hours or freeze to store**
I'm not sure if it's the eggs or almonds but these are not very shelf stable!
Also note, stevia has a slight bitter aftertaste that mellows as it sits with other ingredients, for that reason I leave the muffins in the fridge overnight before I freeze.

Photo has blueberry muffins in the foreground with plain muffins top left.

No comments:

Post a Comment