Thursday, January 6, 2011

Raw Pecan Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms

Just so you know...I hate mushrooms!
I don't like their texture and I usually pick them out of stews and meals that have them.  What I didn't realize was that I didn't like "cooked" mushrooms!  I just love this recipe because marinated mushrooms don't have the same texture and sliminess as cooked mushrooms!

My inspiration for this came from a Walnut and Spinach Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms recipe on http://foodsforlonglife.blogspot.com. I changed some of the ingredients to make a sweeter version.


Ingredients
8 small or 5 medium Baby Portabella Mushrooms ( I like them because they are shaped better for stuffing, but White Button Mushrooms will also work)
1 cup Basil Leaves
1/4 cup Pecans
1 Tbsp Lime juice
1 Clove Garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast 
Balsamic Vinegar

Method
Remove the mushroom stems and gently remove some of the inside so there is room for the filling. Clean (and I peel) the mushrooms and.save the stems for the filling. Steep the mushroom caps in a little balsamic vinegar and let them marinate for about 15 minutes; I turn them over a few times to make sure they are well soaked.
  

Place the pecans, basil, lime juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, mushroom stems and nutritional yeast in a food processor and buzz for a few seconds until well mixed, don't over process, it shouldn't be a paste.


Remove the mushrooms caps from their balsamic bath and stuff with the mix.  Server at room temperature. I have no idea how long you can store them because we usually eat them immediately!


Oh, make sure your significant other has some too...the garlic can be a little antisocial ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment