Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Fishermans Pie...Ahoy there matey

I love seafood and I love any kind of baked fish pie.  Before I moved to the center of the US I had moved over 15 times but never lived more than 50 miles from a coast and always close to an abundance of fish protein.

Luckily where I live now there's an  Irish Bar that has a Fishermans Pie on the menu that I used to love before I worked out that my system couldn't cope too well with wheat and I also got used to a lower dairy consumption due to my husband being dairy-free.  Now, after-effects of the flaky pastry top and creamy sherry sauce don't appeal quite so much. I longed for something similar to satisfy my fish pie craving.
 
I thought an easy potato top would be nice and I thought about making a sauce, but then I decided to keep it simple; all I needed to do was bake the fish with vegetables and that would probably provide the moisture for the filling, ah ha!

This is roughly what you need:

For the topping
1 lb potatoes (or less if you want it thinner than a 1 inch topping)
2-3 Tbsp of Natural Balance or coconut oil (I used a mixture of both)
Breadcrumbs or a 50-50 mix of almond flour and nutritional yeast



For the pie filling
2 medium size carrots
1 stick of celery
1 zucchini/courgette
1/2 cup frozen corn or peas
2 pieces of fish (about 12 oz, I used all salmon -  I would use a white fish and salmon next time for variety)
1 cup of prawns or scallops, lightly chopped
1 tspn salt and herbs such as dill or tarragon, or your favorite fish seasoning
1/2 cup cheese (I used Daiya, dairy free cheese) 
Juice of half a lemon (use the other half for a garnish)

This is how you make it:
  • Peel the potatoes, chop into 3/4 inch cubes and boil for 15 - 20 minutes.
  • Set the oven to 375 F










  • Meanwhile, grate the vegetables (I used the grater blade on the Cuisinart, zoom, zoom), add corn, coarsly chopped prawns, cubed fish and toss together well with seasonings and cheese. 
  • Add to baking dish and squeeze half a lemon over the top (I used a 9 x 7 inch dish)

  • Mash the cooked potatoes with Natural Balance or Coconut oil and add to the top of the vegetable and fish mixture. 
  • Sprinkle breadcrumbs (or a GF alternative) to the top to help make the top a little crispy.
  • Bake in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes until the top is lightly browned and your kitchen starts to smell like there is a wonderful fish pie near by :-)  
  • Serve with a wedge of lemon and enjoy.
Regular size serving (1/4 of recipe)

This makes about 4 average size servings, but could be split into two "hungry person" portions!

This came out pretty well; who doesn't like mashed potatoes when it's below freezing outside?  The filling was moist and I didn't miss a creamy sauce as the potatoes provided some creaminess to the overall dish.  I may add a dash of sherry next time and not add as much of the seafood seasoning as I don't think it needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment