Friday, February 4, 2011

Spinach Dip


My usual dilemma - what to do with green leafy stuff.  I blame it on the fact I grew up in Scotland; we had root vegetables and we imported citrus, everything else is sort of vague in my memory...though I do remember cabbage cooked in a pressure cooker.

Oh how I wish my mother was alive to taste this.
  • The first thing you will notice is my spinach dip is green - It has spinach in it :-)
  • It's not white with green flecks, it has spinach in it :->
  • It has no cholesterol, but it does have spinach in it :-]
This is so easy, I can believe I didn't work this out years ago.

What you need:
1 bunch of fresh spinach (enough to fill a small 2 quart bowl...small soccer ball size...geeze I wish I'd weighed it!)
1/4 cup of cashew cream or sour cream or yogurt
1/4 cup Vegenaise (I use the grape seed oil version) or the mayonnaise of your choice
1 tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt to taste - you shouldn't need much since the nutritional yeast mimics saltiness













How you make it:
  • Put spinach in a food processor and pulse to reduce the volume so you can add the other ingredients
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse to mix
  • Serve with organic wheat-free corn tortillas
This recipe makes about 1 cup of dip.

Optional Modification - if you need more dip but don't have the spinach you can double the quantities of cashew cream and Vegenaise to make a less-green version.  I don't approve, but it can be done in extreme circumstances ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment